Islamabad/New Delhi, Aug 5 - Pakistan Wednesday banned the Jamaat-ud Dawa (JuD) of Hafiz Saeed, who India says masterminded the 26/11 Mumbai attacks, and 24 other religious and welfare organisations.
Also banned is the Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) terror group that Saeed founded and which morphed into the JuD in the wake of the December 13, 2001, attack on the Indian parliament that New Delhi blamed on the outfit.
The interior ministry Wednesday presented the list of banned organisations in the National Assembly, the lower house of Pakistan's parliament, Geo TV reported.
The ministry, however, was silent on the status of Saeed, whose release from house arrest in June has sparked an outcry in India. The Pakistani government has appealed this but the Supreme Court Monday indefinitely adjourned the hearing on this.
India Saturday provided Pakistan an additional seven-page dossier of evidence relating to the 26/11 Mumbai attacks and underlined that it has given Islamabad enough proof to prosecute Saeed.
Addressing a press conference in New Delhi, Indian Home Minister P. Chidambaram said Saturday: 'There is enough evidence to proceed against Saeed.'
'The evidence provided in three dossiers is, in our view, sufficient to investigate role of Hafiz Saeed (in the Mumbai carnage),' the minister said, adding: 'The investigations in Pakistan will also throw up enough evidence.'
Saeed, who had been placed under house arrest in December after the UN proscribed the JuD in the wake of the Nov 26-29, 2008, Mumbai terror attacks, was released by the Lahore High Court in June citing lack of evidence.
On July 28, a defiant Pakistan said it would not arrest Saeed till adequate proof was provided of his involvement in the Mumbai carnage.
'We cannot arrest him till adequate proof is provided.