Ferrari announced last week Wednesday that Schumacher is to take the place of Massa, a move which has generated huge excitement in the motorsport world.
It is not known exactly when the doctors will make their final assessment, but it is believed to come next week.
While Schumacher's fitness is seen as no serious obstacle despite his long absence, a neck injury sustained in February in a motorcycle incident is of some concern because neck muscles are subject to extreme pressure during F1 races.
Schumacher said on his website Tuesday that he had slight neck problems after first tests in an old Ferrari model.
'We have to get a grip on that as health has priority - that's the clear arrangement made with Ferrari and, by the way, with my wife, too,' Schumacher said.
But Schumacher also said: 'It's on! I accepted the challenge. And as you all know, I really love challenges.'