Baghdad, Aug 3 (DPA) At least five civilians were killed and 23 wounded Monday when a man detonated his explosives-laden car in the western Iraqi province of al-Anbar.
The bomber was trying to kill the police chief of the district of al-Saqalawiya, whose convoy was passing at the time, police in al-Anbar told DPA. The police official escaped unhurt.
Police had earlier said that two people had been killed and seven people were wounded, but later told Baghdad's Aswat al-Iraq news agency that casualties had mounted over the course of the day.
Monday's attack followed a powerful car bomb explosion in the nearby town of al-Haditha, in Iraq's Sunni heartland some 250 km northeast of Baghdad.
At least seven people were killed and 20 wounded Sunday when a powerful car bomb exploded in a crowded market in the town, police said.