Mugello/Hamburg, July 31 (DPA) Michael Schumacher intends absolving his first practice laps in a Ferrari Friday since announcing his comeback as temporary replacement for the injured Felipe Massa.
As in-season testing is banned under new Formula One rules, the 40-year-old hopes get some practice hours in Ferrari's 2007 car at the Italian marque's Mugello circuit.
'Although I can't drive this or last year's car, I still want to drive as much as I can and this is a good option,' Schumacher said on his website www.Michael-Schumacher.de.
Schumacher announced Wednesday that he would return to Ferrari in the wake of Massa's accident during qualifying for the Hungarian Grand Prix last weekend in Budapest which left the Brazilian hospitalised.
The seven-time world champion is now racing to get up to speed in time for the European Grand Prix in Valencia, August 23.
'He will try to drive as much as possible to familiarise himself again with the challenges of driving in a Formula One car,' said Schumacher's spokeswoman Sabine Kehm.